Monday, March 29, 2010

Willing spring

We participated yesterday in one of those classic Winnipeg rights of spring: ice cream. And not just any ice cream, BDI ice cream. We were not alone. The lineups were very long, but we waited. There were even people there in short selves. Now, the actual outside temperature did not correlate strongly with the clothing worn or the need for ice cream, yet we were all there. I think if you told someone from Florida that we were lining up for ice cream in our short sleeves at +5 they would think we were crazy, but you must understand the context. Our summers are great, but short, and I think these premature ice cream runs are just part of our way of willing spring to come. In the same way that our ancestors brought pine branches inside to in dead of winter and made offerings to gods to ensure the return of the sun, we buy our ice cream and dress for summer in an effort to actively bring about spring. I am pretty sure it works. So sure that I think we will go for ice cream again tonight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Today being Earth Day, why don't you request BDI start selling organic ice cream from free-range cows.

How anyone can drink something from another animal's udder is beyond me. I'll stick to my vegan ice cream, and don't knock it 'til you try it.


Cheers, Cory

Adam said...

I though it was all oil product anyway!